Pssst! Looking for some wow-worthy Easter recipes that will impress your family and friends, but won’t take an age to make? We feel you.
The holidays should be relaxed and easy, so there’s really no need to get involved with finicky eats that require an array of complicated implements and countless hours to prepare.
Quick aside - We also feel like we should mention that our Babushka Deli will be stocked with all sorts of tasty, ready-prepared Easter-inspired treats this year. So, you know, there’s that … (*insert halo emoji, followed by monocle emoji*)
That being said, we understand that spending time in the kitchen with the fam can be lots of fun, so here are two of the Hazendal team’s favourite Easter recipes to try at home this year:
Easter Spiced Chocolate Mud Cake
Okay, so first things first, you’re going to need something super chocolatey. After all, if there is one thing no Easter celebration should be without, it’s lashings of ooey-gooey chocolatey goodness.
As such, we present to you the Easter Spiced Chocolate Mud Cake - the chocolatey-est cake you ever did see.
Serves 8 – 10
For the base:
2 pack Romany Creams, crushed finely
¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
¼ tsp Ground ginger
¼ tsp Ground cloves
1 tsp Vanilla essence
100g Butter, melted
- Mix together and press into a tart pan or loose bottomed cake pan
For the filling:
400g Dark chocolate, 70%
360g Butter, soft
- Chop chocolate and place into a glass bowl with the butter.
- Place bowl over a pot of simmering water to act as a double boiler to melt the chocolate and butter
- Once melted and cooled, set aside
360g Caramel sugar
- Beat sugar, eggs and salt until light and double in volume
- Add brandy, orange juice and zest
- Fold in the melted chocolate and butter
- Stir in cream and pour mixture into prepared tart pan or loose bottomed cake pan
- Bake in a preheated oven 160˚C for 35-40 minutes, the centre should still be wobbly.
- Leave to set before serving
- Have some fun and decorate with toppings of your choice
If you’re looking for something unique and fun to do over Easter Weekend, Wonderdal is the perfect way to keep your kids entertained. Click 👉 here to find out more.
Awesomely Versatile Pizza Dough
Next up, we’ve got our awesomely versatile pizza dough. This one is a staple in our kitchens at Hazendal, and can just as easily be whipped up for use at home. The great thing about it is that you can make it ahead of time, and then just add toppings and bake it once your guests are ready to eat.
In fact, it’s a very nice interactive experience to have everyone pick their own toppings and build their own pizza!
Makes 8 large bases.
1kg Cake flour (we use Eureka Stone Ground)
1 tsp Salt
650ml Beer (2 x bottles - non-alcoholic varietals work just as well!)
60ml Olive oil
2 x Sachet instant dry yeast
4 tsp Sugar
- Mix flour, salt, yeast and sugar,
- Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Slowly heat the beer to lukewarm and stir into your well - start mixing to form a soft dough with no lumps.
- Sprinkle some flour on your kneading board to avoid the dough sticking.
- Knead for about 5 minutes - bonus workout element!
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and rub some olive oil over the top, cover with cling film (or sustainable buzzy wrap) and leave to rise for about 1 hour so that it doubles in volume.
- Knead the dough again for about 2 minutes and divide into equal balls to roll out your pizza bases.
- The dough may yield more or less bases depending on the thickness of your preferred pizza base.
Looking for some wine pairings to go with your pizza? It all depends on which flavour profile you’re going for.
Our Hazendal winemaker and viticulturist Clarise Langeveldt recommends Christoffel Hazenwinkel The Red Blend 2018 to go with a meaty vibe, Christoffel Hazenwinkel The White Blend 2018 to accompany a veggie profile, and Christoffel Hazenwinkel The Blanc de Noir 2019 to complement pizzas on the more spicy end of the spectrum.
There you have it - two showstopper Easter recipes that look fantastically fancy, but are secretly easy to make. Happy baking and pizza-making! Check back soon for more tasty inspo from the Hazendal kitchens.
If you’re looking for a great Easter outing this year - you may want to take a look at everything we’re 👉 offering at our family friendly wine farm over the long weekend.